August 29, 2009

It's All Over Red Rover

Noel Leaves Oasis, What next?

Lead guitarist and songwriter Noel Gallagher quit Oasis because he can't work "a day longer" with his brother Liam, according to a statement he posted on the band's website.

The announcement came shortly after the last-minute cancellation of the group's scheduled performance on Friday at the Rock En Seine festival in Paris.

"It's with some sadness and great relief to tell you that I quit Oasis tonight," Gallagher wrote in a statement. "People will write and say what they like, but I simply could not go on working with Liam a day longer."

In a lengthier statement, Gallagher thanked fans for their commitment to the band.

"I would like to thank all the Oasis fans, all over the world. The last 18 years have been truly, truly amazing (and I hate that word, but today is the one time I'll deem it appropriate). A dream come true. I take with me glorious memories."

He hinted that tension in the band had become unbearable.

"I feel you have the right to know that the level of verbal and violent intimidation towards me, my family, friends and comrades has become intolerable. And the lack of support and understanding from my management and bandmates has left me with no other option than to get me cape and seek pastures new."

Noel's brother and Oasis lead singer/guitarist Liam Gallagher founded the band in 1991 with Paul Arthurs, Paul McGuigan and Tony McCaroll. Noel joined shortly thereafter and took over as Oasis' lead songwriter.

The Gallagher brothers are the longest-standing members of the band; the rest of the current lineup includes guitarist/keyboardist Colin Archer, bassist Andy Bell and drummer Chris Sharrock.

The British band had performances scheduled Saturday at the Rock Am See Festival in Konstanz, Germany, and Sunday at the I-Day Festival in Milan, Italy, both of which are canceled, according to Gallagher's statement.

"Apologies to all the people who bought tickets for the shows in Paris, Konstanz and Milan," he wrote. No further news on the band's future has been announced.

Oasis' most recent album, Dig Out Your Soul, peaked at No. 5 on the Billboard 200 in October.

Chat to me on Twitter!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...